DAMA is known as a Designated Area Migration Agreement. However, it is a type of Labor Agreement. Moreover, Labor Agreements are basically the work agreements that help the employers to sponsor semi-skilled and skilled overseas workers for the positions that they can’t fill with the help of local workers which is known as market shortages. Thus, it helps people to apply for Australia Immigration Skilled Visa.
However, such agreements are negotiable between the Department and employers or industrial associations.
Moreover, other types of labor agreements are:
- Company Specific Labor Agreements
- Global Talent Scheme Agreements
- Industry Labor Agreements
- Project Agreements
However, DAMAs are labor agreements that take place between a DAR (Designated Area Representative) and the government of Australia. Therefore, it provides access to additional occupations and concessions for the standard migration programs under the:
- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Visa (Subclass 494)
- Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
Thus, once a DAMA is in place, local businesses can apply for endorsement to get themselves enter into individual labor agreements. However, they will need to comply with the conditions of the relevant DAMA.
Currently, there are seven DAMA lists in place:
- The Northern Territory DAMA II – It has 117 available occupations and English and salary concession for some occuaptions.
- The Orana Region DAMA – It has 73 available occupations that need skills and work experience, salary, permanent pathway, and English concessions.
- The Far North Queensland DAMA – It has 70 available occupations and provide concessions for English, salary, work experience, and permanent pathway for some occupations.
- The South Australian Regional Workforce DAMA – It has 139 available occupations and provides concessions for English, salary, age, and PR pathway.
- The Adelaide City Technology Innovation Advancement DAMA – It has 64 available occupations and provides concession in English, salary, age, and PR pathway.
- The Goldfield DAMA – It has 72 available occupations and provides concessions for English, salary and PR pathway.
- The Victoria’s Great South Coast DAMA – It has 27 available occupations and offers concessions for English, experience, salary, skills, and PR pathway.
How to Apply for DAMA?
The DAMA is a program that falls under employer-sponsored visa program. However, individual workers can’t apply for this program individually. Employers will need to apply to the relevant DAR to get access to the DAMA. Employers can apply to access to the occupations, concessions, and number of workers they need.
Generally, the applications works in following steps:
- Employer will need to apply for the relevant DAR to get endorsement.
- The DAR will assess the endorsement application.
- DAR issues a letter of endorsement if the assessment is positive.
- The sponsoring business will need to submit an application to enter into an individual DAMA labor agreement with the Department.
- The Department will assess and evaluate the DAMA application.
- Upon positive outcome from the Department, employer will be able to nominate the employee. However, employee can also submit a visa application under labor agreement stream.
Moreover, you can also take a look at All DAMA lists in one place.
Read More: Top 5 most competitive ANZSCO occupations